18.4.06

Easter in Dubrovnik

Didn't spend Easter in the 85% non-Easter-celebrating Sarajevo. Instead, I was in a 95% Easter-celebrating city, the very catholic Dubrovnik. Sunday morning the bells rang at 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12. Mass was packed. 'Adio' (go with God), people said to each other as they streamed out...curiously Spanish-sounding Croatian farewell.

Later I was given an elaborately decorated Easter egg by the Croatian grandma in whose house I was a guest. It's tradition for the women of the house to decorate large basketfuls of hardboiled eggs and pass them out to everyone who stops in or passes by. So refreshing that this ritual is not associated with a bohemoth rabbit and special sales on pork loin and leg of lamb at Shopper's Food Warehouse.

I sorely missed not hearing the proclamation/response phrase I've come to know so well: "He is risen;" "He is risen indeed!"

2 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

You know you love both pork loin and leg of lamb. Don't be hatin'!

(Marzipan, my leg of lamb is here! I'm never calling you back!)

4:49 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Ooooh, noooh, looooo! :)

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home