20.8.05

Rule of Thumb

So that I might better utilize the English language, I have signed up on Phrase Finder's "A Phrase a Week." Every week I receive a phrase, it's meaning, and it's origin. This week's was particularly interesting.

The phrase was "Rule of Thumb." Rule of Thumb was said to have originated from a "belief that English law allowed a man to beat his wife with a stick so long as it was no thicker than his thumb. In 1782 Judge Sir Francis Buller is reported as having made this legal ruling."

The phrase also appeared in print when Sir W. Hope, Fencing-Master, wrote, "What he doth, he doth by rule of Thumb, and not by Art." So I guess the origin's up for debate, though I choose to believe the wife beating one, which is very un-PC, and therefore funny.

Phrase Finder

"A man who cannot control his woman...is funny."
-Johnny Cammareri, Moonstruck

4 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Every scene in Moonstruck is quotable!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

"I don't care! I aint no monument to justice! I lost my hand! I lost my bride!"

1:43 PM  
Blogger Nauman said...

Yep, real nice link. Just subscribed to get 'A Phrase a Week'. But one thing you can do is, make a link to the words describing something.

For example, I had to copy the shortcut and paste it. Just put a link (through that 'hyperlink' button in blogger - the one that looks like a globe with a chain link on it; that's if you don't alreay know which one it is) on the words. Or on the link itself.

Adios :)

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heya. well just stumbled cross your blog. THe whole coffee obsession thing caught my interest. I just mmmm 3 weeks ago had my first cup of coffee ever. Yep ever. annnd i'm in my upper 20's. IT was straight from Columbia (brought up here by a genuine columbian no less!) I figured it was a sign or something like that. My friends refer to coffee as "God's Nectar" so how could i resist. I gotta say the coffee was good BUT i enjoy drinks like redbull more. So basically i have no point to this! :D but I thought I'd ramble. GOd Bless

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home