13.6.06

Had a most freakish experience. All of the sudden last night around 4 AM I jolted wide awake. At first I didn't know what had waked me, but then I heard it--a high, nasal sound coming from the loudspeakers. "Allah u Akbar, Allah u Akbar (Allah is great, Allah is great)...Ash-hadu al-la Ilaha ill Allah - Ash-hadu al-la Ilaha ill Allah (I bear witness that there is no divinty but Allah)." I was glad I couldn't see the minarets from my bedroom window.

Right at that same moment, the lamp post outside my building that usually glares into my window went dark. I lay there, unmoving, eyes wide open, feeling like there was no one else in the world but me, blackness, and that thin song. Something about it terrified me--anyone who's lived in a Muslim country knows what I mean--it sounds like the song of the dead; listening to it in the pitch dark was horrible!


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings and Salutations!!! Isn't the internet astounding? I typed in your sisters name and found all the stores she is registered at for her wedding, as well as articles she's written, things about her modeling, a picture of her soon to be husband and eventually the trail led me here to you, cuz. All the way on the other side of the world. I guess by now I should introduce myself. It's your cousin Eric in Louisville KY. Sounds like you're having quite an adventure. Wish I was there. Now that I have found your blog, I'll show it to the rest of the tribe down here in KY so we can keep up with you. I hope to see you at the wedding. Until then may the Living God bless you and keep you, amen.

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eric-
This is Debbie- You guys will be getting an invitation by the end of June-- I do need some addresses though, if possible. I think your mom passed on the info from me.

It will be great to see you all.

Bekah-

The sound of darkness!

5:32 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Hi Eric! Wow, how are you guys?! I'm glad you found our blogs--it really is amazing how people can stay in touch nowadays!

How are the kids? Getting bigger every day I'm sure--they're cuties!

Will you guys be able to come to the wedding? If so I'll be seeing you really soon! Give everyone in KY my love!

Bekah

(What's your e-mail address? I'd like to send you guys the forwards I've been sending out about my time here in Bosnia)

10:10 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I live next to a mosque and don't need a watch because the calls to prayer let me know what time it is. It's truly an eery sound.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home