24.10.06

Sick days reading

I'm in a quasi-forced time of rest from my usual activities in Sarajevo because of a bad cough I haven't been able to shake for the last 2 weeks. Family and friends who don't want the cough turning to bronchitis any more than I do have told me to take it easy and take time off. I've reluctantly agreed.

I admit that while the sabbatical time is nice, I feel a little stir crazy and sorry for myself at the moment. The pull of the beautiful outdoors today is horribly tempting, and there's always the temptation of the many cafes. But I will heed wise council nonetheless. So I decided it's a good time to catch up on some reading, and will start with one of Kathryn's: The Balkans, A Short History

On Thursday Kathryn and I drive to Dubrovnik, Croatia to enjoy more R&R and take in some of the sights before snow and subzero temperatures settle in. I think on our excursion I'm going to attack the rest of the Balkans book and then bring some eye, ahem, brain, candy along to purge the heaviness of the Balkan saga from my soul. My office here at the English school has quite a little library, and I'm thinking of finally returning the 2 total books I ever checked out there: the autobiography of Benjamin Franklin (that I did not read) and the biography of Cary Grant (that I read with a vengeance), and replacing them with a good Jane Austen. Or whatever.

Being sick brings me to a sharp awareness of how pitifully ill-read I've become since college. I have tried and tried, but I haven't been successfully self-motivational in this area. Especially since obtaining my laptop has enabled me to read little snippets of this and that, somewhat fulfilling my intellectual senses, and definitely complementing my A.D.D.-like tendency to not sit still long enough to read an actual book.

So I launch in. I will probably be kicking myself in 2 weeks when I'm healthy again, and my good intentions have produced the fruit of one half-read book.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dorothy Marner said...

So Bekah, how much have you read so far?

11:32 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

"Not saying aaah, Bekah? What ails you?"

5:15 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Hey Kathryn, I got through the intro on the Balkans book!!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Dorothy Marner said...

Yeah. It only took a week, right?

Aaah. It must been all the considering of the lilies you were doing.

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home