2.11.06

Pada snijeg!

"Snow is falling!"

OK, the dumb Americans have had a contest going for about a month. The contest: each of us have predicted the first day that snow will fall in Sarajevo (and stick on the ground). Reward: the winner will be treated (by all the losers) to a free dinner at the fabulous Thai restaurant I just can't avoid talking about for more than three postings. My prediction for the first snowfall was the earliest of the whole group--November 2nd--today!

This morning before our prayer meeting we were all talking and laughing about this contest and all of the sudden Neno, who was at the window, quietly said, "Bekah, it's snowing." Of course I thought he was teasing me, but he was insistent and I got up and looked for myself. Voila--SNOW! Of course hysterical laughing and screaming ensued, the others screaming that the snow wouldn't stick, and me screaming that indeed it would!

OK, I have until midnight, because Kathryn's snow prediction is November 3rd (sneaky girl). Guess who won't be going to sleep tonight until 12:01 AM? So whatever, the snow stopped and hasn't started again yet, but many of the surrounding mountains are being blanketed as I write this, which gives me great faith. I'm sitting nervously in my living room, biting at my nails and feverishly sipping my Turkish coffee while glancing out the window every 3 or so seconds. I've done everything short of going outside and doing a snow dance to pray and claim it into being.

So, hold on to your wallets, friends--this is about to get ugly!

9 Comments:

Blogger Dorothy Marner said...

I'll be right there at 12:01 watching with you when the snow BEGINS to cover the ground.

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! Both the 2nd and the 3rd will pass quitely and without snow I'm afraid. Much too early for a good snow, much. Sorry! Get ready to fork out the marks for my delicious dinner! I must say though that it did come painfully close to snowing here on the valley floor. Just a degree colder and we'd have had a good 'un. Sorry sisters! Better luck next time...

2:18 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Oh, contrare--who died and made you supreme weather forecaster??? :) Underground still reads (as of 3:54 PM) 40% chance of snow. Let's just wait and see! Hahaha.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

But surely you had snow? I don't understand! Who wrote the "it must stick" rule?! I would be pushing your victory for this one Bekah! Enjoy your Thai meal! :) x

9:09 AM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

You are HILARIOUS, girl! :)

11:37 AM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

I know, the rule really stinks. Actually, Kathryn won because it stuck after midnight. Oh, well--I happily surrender--I'm just glad the boys lost. ;)

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you guys should split it because the actual storm that brought the 'sticking' snow started on the 2nd and ended on the 3rd....so go figure. Anyway, it's WAY too soon for snow, so let's get it outta here and get those sunny warm days back in for a while. See you at the Thai restaurant!

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry that last comment was from me...

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is fantastic, but the rules still seem a little mirky to me. Does it have to stick in the mountains or on the city streets? How much does it have to stick, like how many centimeters?

I think I agree with the split theory that the anonymous person suggested.

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home