20.9.05

Ponderings

I'm getting ready to climb Old Rag (a mountain in the Shenandoah Valley) on Saturday with a group of friends from church. The first time I climbed it was not only a wonderful experience...it felt very spiritual. Once at the summit, and for many weeks after descending the mountain, I felt revived and enlivened in my soul. I've wondered that the simple act of climbing a mountain can rejuvenate mind and body so much...it's the worship of God through nature...it must be. But does that mean that those who climb up mountains who aren't Christians come back down feeling exactly the same--not changed at all? I feel like I've unearthed an argument that has an obvious answer I don't know because I'm ignorant. Help me here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kermit and Elektra said...

If you ask someone of any religion, I have found that it's exactly the reason anyone climbs a mountain, b/c of that feeling of entering holy ground. Maybe that's how the stones yell out God's presence even when humans don't claim to know him.
~K.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

How did that climb work out for you?

3:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home