18.5.06

Starts to feel right(ish)

So I'm walking along the river this evening on my way home from Bible study, and I notice people along the way: a young couple--the wife is pregnant--animatedly talking to each other-- probably about the upcoming baby...another couple, older, slower, maybe mid-60's, the guy freaks me out at first but then I remember a lot of European men, old or young, shave their heads and wear all black...a young guy in his own world, short hair, glasses, backpack slung across the left shoulder. It's not so weird that they're all jabbering on in another language because I can tell what they're talking about: "this was where I was when..."..."she didn't say anything about that..."..."they have grapes on sale at Mercator and...."

I realize I recognize that smell of barbeque wafting over from the other side of the river--I always smell the barbeque right there. I am hearing the call to prayer again but it takes a minute to be conscious of it. The sights and sounds have gradually become like the sound grasshoppers make on summer nights in Virginia--just another part of summer, blending into the background with everything else.

3 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

I completely understand. :)

2:47 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Technically it's not summer.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Thanks, Laura--I know you do!!

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home