16.8.06

My sister got married last Saturday. It was a wonderful day and a tremendous weekend. I think my most favorite highlight, though, was Friday afternoon when all the girls were treated by my cousin and aunt to manicures and pedicures--ahhh. We had a BLAST! Pink champagne and fruit and strawberry-flavored cream cheese. Have you ever done one of those spa treatments? Those massage chairs make it happen. Best waste of $22 I've ever enjoyed! And our toes also looked great for the wedding.

Friday evening as I was walking in to the church for the rehearsal, my flip flop caught on some uneven sidewalk and I wiped out. I also had an armful of bags, so the dynamic of hitting pavement with extra baggage increased the decibel level impressively. My knee gushed blood and I went through 3 bandaids as I tried to play cello while the moms and Jeremy and the groomsmen processed in. Hahaha. Unforgettable.

Saturday was unreal. One moment I was riding in the car with Rachel like old times, and the next she was standing next to Jeremy and pledging her troth. They both looked fabulous (and I mean that in a not gay way :) and happy. I almost fainted during the ceremony. According to the guests I wavered tremendously and my dad actually got up to ask me if I was OK. One must not lock one's knees when standing for a very long time. I was paranoid for the whole rest of the ceremony that I was going to fall. I tried as hard as I could to enjoy and take in what was going on, while simultaneously wishing that it would end. But crash I did not, and it was a fantastic ceremony. I was so proud of Rachel.

I'm in withdrawal from the whole event: recovering from the 13.5 hour drive, leaving my sister smack in the middle of the country with a guy named Jeremy (no offense, brother :), and the inevitable emotion of "the wedding's over." Whew, can I have a side of denial with that, please?

So I'm grunging in the basement a little bit thinking and computering. I'm supposed to be working on my mission report, but I've listened to Barry Phillips a lot lately on my laptop and think I've got a cello song in the makings in my head. I really want to record a wedding album--both with lyrics and not. I think that when it comes to music, wedding material errs a little on the weak side. I want to remain traditional sounding but lose the 56 measures of repetitive, redundant Canons in D.

Anyway, for something completely different, I just read that Dell is recalling their computers because of faulty and explosive batteries--I think I'm going to shut her down and keep her away from my vital organs for a while :) Please comment with any hilarious wedding stories!

3 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Ah, Canon in D... a perfect way to fill the average seven minutes it takes to sign the wedding register in this country. I have played it so many times that if I so much as hear it on my own wedding day I shall shoot someone. Possibly.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I don't have any funny wedding stories, but my brother Jonathan got married the last Saturday in July and I completely understand the withdrawal with a side of denial. It was one of the weirdest things I've ever experienced! We spent at least a week planning every moment around the wedding. 48 hours before the wedding was a non-stop rush to make dinner for 60 people and decorate the rehearsal dinner site. Then there was the wedding, rehearsal and the post-wedding family supper back at the house. Whew! And then we slept for two days and moped around the house.

4:57 AM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Hi Cindy! Well, I went to Sarajevo on a 3 week mission trip with a team a year ago, and as I'm a cellist and have a degree in English, I proved useful there as a musician and teacher. So I was invited back by the pastors and leaders of the local church there with which the team had worked. Seeing as I always wanted to spend a year in Europe, and I love the Balkans, I went!

You're right, though, it is so far away from home! I don't think I realized how homesick I would be while I was there. It's been great to be back in VA for a while, and I think if nothing else, I will do well to take away from my year in Bosnia a deep appreciation of my family and nation. That sounds cliche, but it is so true.

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home