24.11.06

Thankfulness


I have so much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving, wow. When I look back on my life over the past year, I see the marvelous grace that God has given me: He has truly fulfilled the desire of my heart to serve in another nation. In Matthew 6:33 He said "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you." I understand how amazing it is to just let go of my plans and agenda and let God work.

I tried for so long to force God to go along with my agenda--had big plans about what I wanted to do and where I wanted to go and who I wanted to marry and all that--things that the Lord might add unto me when I merely trust and delight in Him first. I realized that my plan making was getting me no where but depressed and frustrated. Last year on Thanksgiving I remember being in such a place of brokenness before God--out of college, in a job that I didn't like, and day after day wondering, "What now?" But I think in that time I truly learned to just say, "OK Lord, I just want You, and I know Your love for me and that my desires are from You--help me to just delight in You."

Now I see that my plans and agendas are so foolish compared to the plans that God has for me. Completely surrendering to God out of that place of brokenness brought me to a place I never thought I'd go, and things I never thought I would do. He has been fulfilling my desires in ways I couldn't have imagined. And as I looked around the table last night, I marveled that I was hosting people from four different nations--most of whom have never celebrated an American Thanksgiving before. I was so honored to serve them and fellowship with them and know them--most of all, I was just amazed to consider all of the things God has done in my life this year.

I think that many years from now, I will look back on this Thanksgiving as the most meaningful and special one of my life in many ways. Praise You, God, for Your faithfulness to Your children.

I've posted some pictures below from yesterday--enjoy!

Tiny European kitchen sinks are not 8 kilo bird-friendly: showers work pretty well, though!

Turkey in the shower--gitt'n 'er clean

Shampooing her--JUST KIDDING

Preparations on the kitchen floor (no room on the counters at this point)

Stuffing her!

Devin ironed all the tablecloths--yay!

Prijatno--she's finally done!

The feast

Post feast: full and satisfied

The group: 4 nations represented here: Bosnia, Sweden, Japan, and America--God is GOOD

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Bekah, that was such an awesome post! Would you mind if I send the link to some friends of mine? I think we could all do with hearing your testimony - such a lesson to learn; that if we delight ourselves in the Lord FIRST, the desires of our hearts become the desires of His heart...
Bless ya sister - praying you in!

4:48 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Sure, girl! I would love for them to read it--yes, God is so faithful--thanks for your prayers!

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home