4.12.06

On (not) cooking for one


I forget to eat when I'm alone. Like right now, I'm sitting with my Bosnian/Croatian dictionary and language texts spread out all over the floor, studying vocab and padeži (cases), a cup of half-consumed and now undrinkable coffee and an orange peel at my side, and I'm wondering why all of the sudden my stomach is acting insane and I feel faint? It's been 4 hours since the orange, and I'm realizing I accidentally missed that whole breakfast and lunch memo.

Please bear with me for a minute or two of pure belly-aching (pardon the pun) :). The thought of going into the kitchen right now and preparing food makes me bored. I absolutely adore cooking--big groups of guests and the happy chaos of chopping and sauteeing and dish-washing is ideal and one of my greatest pleasures, but how anticlimactic to do so for an audience of one? Reminds me of a quote I once heard, and I'm not sure who said this, "I'd rather dine once than eat forever." True, so true!

When Kat was here--and we both love to cook--there was such joy in going to the markets and picking out our vegetables and cutting and grating and happily chatting, and finally enjoying our meal together over a glass of wine. Community is so important in mealtimes--being on my own in a foreign country has taught me that. There are so many benefits to having my own place for which I am very thankful, but the eating part of it doesn't make the pros list.

Now that Kat's gone it seems I will revert back to my pre-Kat diet of lots of cereal, yogurt, and tuna fish. Maybe I'll add some pickles to the tuna if I get really inspired!

2 Comments:

Blogger Dorothy Marner said...

No! You must continue to eat colorful vegetables and more than the average amount of garlic! If not for my absence and your freedom from me, then at least do it in memory of me!

Although I DO undestand that anticlimatic angst of cooking for one. Maybe you should just have company evey might :-)

Love you girl! Chin up and enjoy your two weeks of solitude and happy reflection. I'll be back soon ...

4:45 AM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Kat you'd be proud--yesterday I made tuna with curry, tomatos, and some sauce I conjured up that turned out to be lovely, in somun. It was quite delicious. :)

How are the festivities going there?!

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home